First 72 Hours         Leaving ICU         Managing Rehab         Founder's Story         Donations         Events         Resources         Call (702) 813-5510


On May 10, 2009, Scott was injured in an off-road dirt bike accident that damaged his spinal cord and left him paralyzed from the neck down. What started as a day of fun in the hills south of Henderson (NV) Executive Airport turned into a near-fatal chain of events.

Scott crested what he thought was a rise only to discover it dropped off completely into a concrete flood drainage culvert. His forward momentum sent him over the handlebars and onto his head and neck, with his 250 lbs. compressing him into his helmet and causing the motorcycle to end up on his back.

A friend riding with him, Cort Smith, witnessed the accident. He spent the next 50 minutes fighting desperately with the 911 operator to direct Henderson police and Henderson fire and rescue services to the unmarked area accessible only to off-road capable vehicles. Cort also tried unsuccessfully to get a LifeFlight helicopter dispatched.

Scott realized immediately upon impact he was paralyzed and in trouble. He told Cort he thought he had broken his neck. After 30 minutes had passed with no medical services on-site, Scott's breathing become increasingly difficult as his diaphragm began to fail. Believing he was dying, Scott asked Cort to get his family on the phone and he told his two teenage children and their mother goodbye.

After losing consciousness and nearly an hour after the accident, the LifeFlight helicopter finally reached the scene. Scott was taken by helicopter from the scene to University Medical Center Trauma Center where he was determined to have suffered a central core contusion of the cervical spine, torn anterior cervical ligaments, a herniated disc between C3-C4, a broken nose and dislocated left shoulder. He spent nine days in the ICU and underwent a five-hour surgery to repair his neck, which included fusing the C3 and C4 vertebrae.

On May 20, 2009 he was transferred to Desert Canyon Rehabilitation Hospital ( where he remained for 70 days rehabilitating enough to safely continue his recovery at home. The quality of care and intensive therapy he received at DCRH was exceptional. The medical director and staff told him his progress was nothing short of phenomenal, but also acknowledge it will be months, if not years, before he regains most or all of his original abilities.

Scott was discharged from DCRH on July 27, 2009 and spent the first night in his own bed. He is continuing his recovery and rehab at home with the help of skilled nursing, therapists, volunteers, family and friends. Coverage of Scott's story can be found on the Media page of this website or through his personal recovery website –

Follow Scott’s Personal Story and Recovery: